I had a rock tumbler when I was younger.
For those who have not heard of it, it’s a small cylinder that spins or tumbles. You put stones in it with some small pebbles that wear down and smooth your stones.
You leave it running for a few days.
When it’s done you have some beautiful smooth stones and you add to your rock collection.
I was thinking of this lately and why I enjoyed it.
- Taking something from rough form
- Investing in it over time
- The anxiety and excitement of what will result
- The reveal and pride in what you produced
It made me think of how people invested in me and now transitioning to how I invest in other people.
- You have a valuable rough young resource you are responsible for
- You listen, you coach, you advise
- You ride the emotional coaster of some success, failure and growth
- You graduate someone you manage or mentor into the next state of their career
The stone continues to tumble, get smoother and shine.
Defeating Average one tumble at a time.
The kick in the pants you need. Sign-up for a better start to your work day.